Daddy’s Day Surprise

Happy Fathers Day to all daddies out there! We had the best day enjoying time with our little ones. Adi helped me make a cake for my husband and I was able to pull off a surprise project for his office. I’m so excited to show you!

Have you heard about the $5.00 engineers print that Staples offers in their print department? I got my inspiration from Pinterest here:

Basically, I took the kids outside with their “I Heart Daddy” chalkboard sign and took some photos. The same day, I sent my photo to the local staples copy center and ordered the engineers print in 3’x4′. The print was ready in minutes.

I then had a thin light-weight board cut to size at home depot. A little wood stain, adhesive spray, and mod podge later and voila!

Daniel LOVES it and now he has a large statement piece for his office at work. We’re sure to get some looks when we haul it into the office! Maybe we’ll hang it after hours… hmmm.

Hope your day was as lovely as ours was!

Lots of love,
Mary

17 thoughts on “Daddy’s Day Surprise

1. milly

I tryed doing this at my staples store and it came out with a purple tint to it….do you have to ask to get it without that tint?

2. Beth

LOVE THIS! The Staples website said that they engineering print wasn’t suitable for photos. Did you use the engineering print or the oversize color print?

1. becauseiliketodecorate

I used the engineer print. It’s just a regular thin paper feel, so your not going to get a glossy look like photo paper. But it works great for craft projects like this, and the mod podge gives it the finished look your going for. Plus its only $5!

3. City Girl

I love this idea and I am going to have to use it. I am in the middle of renovations but I will be using it as soon as I get a wall put up LOL.

4. Rick Ingham

I hate to be a buzz-kill, but I’ve seen this idea so many times on Pinterest that I need to speak up. I used to work at the Staples Copy Center near the apartment where my wife and I lived while I was in school. People would often come and request to print their photos using the engineering printer and their photos never came out as nice as they were hoping. I suppose things may vary machine to machine and store to store, but the wide-format black and white printing machines really struggle with areas of solid color, and they’re really best for outlined plans and drawings.

Despite all of that, the engineering prints are ludicrously cheap compared to the colored prints and can be produced at larger sizes. They’re perfect for the DIY enthusiast who doesn’t mind risking a handful of cash.

5. Sarah

I have my print already to go on the wooden board – what did you use to adhere it to the board and did you also use anything on top of the engineer print to make it glossy?

1. becauseiliketodecorate Post author

Yes a little bit, but a just smoothed it out as best as I could and went with it. Next time I do a project like this I may add a little stain or dark wax to age the pic a bit. Hmmmm, this is giving me ideas… An old map image maybe? Ok, see what I did there, haha. :)

6. Sinsilrey

Hey guys I just had one done at staples and your right but if you edit the pic to look like a painting or drawing it actually comes out very well and as big as the pic is you would have to hang it in a big enough space there for when you look at it at a distance it looks flawless :)