Surprise! A Mini Bedroom Makeover

I told you I had something up my sleeve! It all started when my husband had to go on a two-day business trip to Dallas. After he left on Tuesday morning, I got to thinking… what if I could pull off a mini master bedroom makeover before he returned on Wednesday evening? You see, our master bedroom has been neglected big time! Because nobody goes up there, it’s received no attention whatsoever. I wanted my husband and I to have a nice place to retreat to at the end of the day.

Let me preface this by saying that it was a “mini” makeover. I had less than 24 hours and two children to care for at the same time! I have many, many more plans for this space, so look for “master bedroom makeover 2.0” in the future. :)  Without further ado… introducing the final product:

And for comparison, this is what our master bedroom looked like before.

Does this look at all familiar? Since moving in, we just placed our furniture in the room and walked away. Have you done the same thing? Notice how the cords are stretching to plug in all our “necessities.” And one of our lamps were moved to the guest room to accommodate out-of-town company. Tacky, I know… it’s embarrassing.

First things first, we needed an actual bed frame — or in the very least, a headboard. Since upgrading to a king-size bed, our pretty queen-size Z Gallerie bed that we had been using moved to the guest room. I’ve seen DIY headboards all over the internet, so that’s what I set out to do. Fortunately, Home Depot stocks 6′ long pre-cut boards for about $5.50 a piece. I used six boards, stained them, and screwed them to the wall using a course drywall screw.

We also needed some lighting changes, so I picked up these nightstand lights as well as the ceiling fan and called a very generous friend to come install them last-minute for me.

I brought in Hayden – the antique cedar chestto frame the foot of the bed, and also picked up a few nightstand accessories…

…including this super-cool motorcycle statue that I couldn’t resist for my husband’s side of the bed.

To keep it practical, I used books that my husband actually reads topped with a couple vintage, old-looking books.

And finally, I purchased this rug to frame out the space and add a little texture and dimension.

Now that this much is done, I want to do more! (Oh the lack of time and resources). Until next time…

**Update: I have recently posted a tutorial specifically dedicated to the headboard portion of this project. Click here to view.**

Lots of love,
Mary

Linked up here:

13 thoughts on “Surprise! A Mini Bedroom Makeover

1. Helen

I LOVE what you did! At first I got the before and after mixed up and I saw those cords stretched for dear life. Then I came to my senses and saw the "real" after. It looks so good. I love the headboard you did! Great job! Was your hubby impressed?

2. the cape on the corner

that looks amazing-it really is a huge impact with those pallets, but something that didn't cost a lot to do. fab ceiling fan, too. where's that from? they are necessary in PA, but not the best looking things. any sort of modern one always costs so much.

3. Anonymous

Hi Mary. I'm new to your blog and LOVE this headboard idea. I especially love the variation of stain color on the wood boards….was that planned or did some planks just soak up more stain. What color stain did you use and what did you 'finish' it with? wax?

4. Mary - because i like to decorate

Hello Anonymous :)Thanks! It was not planned, but just kind of happened when I got the stain onto the wood. I used Minwax Jacobean for the entire piece. The boards that show the middle or core of the tree came out lighter in color and didn't soak up as much stain as the other boards. I too LOVE how it turned out! And yes, I used wax to finish it as I didn't really want a glossy look.

5. Mik

All I can say is WOW!!!! I LOVE LOVE your new headboard, especially the different colors the stained boards turned out. Hard to believe you did this all in less than 24 hours. I'm completely impressed!

6. Angie

I absolutely love the headboard. This (the before) is exactly how our master looks right now — we even have a similar paint color. Could you give me a little more detail on how you attached the 6 boards together and to the wall? Thanks!

7. Anonymous

So beautiful!!! I've been thinking about doing a very similar headboard in our master. Currently it looks very sad- similar situation! Also, I love your nightstand lights. I bought a couple from Ikea, but do you mind sharing where you got yours?Jess

8. Mary - because i like to decorate

Thanks everyone!@ Anonymous – The nightstand lights were also from Home Depot. They are by Hampton Bay and called "Swing Arm Wall Sconce". I originally was looking for something with a more straight up and down shade, but figure I can switch that out later.

1. becauseiliketodecorate

Hi Liz, It’s a Behr Ultra paint. I don’t know the color and the label on the can says that it was a custom mix (although I know it was one of their colors). The label reads CLRNT-384th, D-288, E-296, F-164 using a Behr Ultra flat in Pure White as the base. Hope this helps!

1. Liz Mooney

Yes! I can take the numbers to the paint department (I believe those are the configuration numbers for the paint mixing machine) and they should be able to mix me a sample right from that! Thank you so much!