Its Finished! This piece took WAY longer than anticipated. I probably should have taped off the wood and sprayed the metal base to save time rather than painting every detail by hand, but lessons learned I guess. Here he is…
I chose the name Thomas because he looks so distinguished to me — handsome and smart, showing off his age so well.
I gave you a sneak peek earlier this week. Remember what he looked like before?
This piece was a Craigslist find. I love the wooden slats, you just don’t see these anymore. A perfect example of my favorite combo — mixing the vintage with the modern!
I used some wood stain that I had on hand from a previous project, Minwax Bombay Mahogany. I Just used one coat, my goal was to keep the wood looking old and worn, just warmed up a bit.
Once dry, I taped off the wood and brushed on a mixture of a Behr black color that I also had on hand. (Sorry I don’t have the name of this color. If interested, I can send you the mixture levels). I didn’t need to use a primer because the mixture used was a homemade chalk paint recipe. Side-note: I have plans to complete a more thorough chalk paint comparison in the future. I’ll keep you posted. I am however very pleased with the results!
I finished off the entire piece with a coat of Annie Sloan Soft Wax in Clear and gave it a light buff. I’ll be applying a second coat tomorrow since its an outdoor piece and needs extra protection.