Henry – An English modern buffet & hutch

Drum roll please…introducing Henry — a modern English buffet & hutch. Henry fit as a name from the very beginning because of his masculine shape and bold lines. It’s such a heavy piece, too!

Yes, I’ve softened him up a bit, but I like to think he found love :)

Do you remember what he looked like before?

I used a watered-down solution of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White, brushed on, then wiped off with a rag. It took me way longer than expected due to all the detailing.

Then, when dry, I did some extra distressing with an ultra-fine sanding block. He was finished off with a coat of AS Clear Wax.

Contemporary satin nickel pulls were chosen to accent the modern block design on the doors and drawers.

The inside was left to its natural wood finish to coordinate with all the distressing.

I especially LOVE how the top of the buffet turned out. The grey tones really popped out between the wood undertones and white highlights.

Henry was a surprise. I knew I wanted to use a whitewash solution, but was very surprised when the detail popped out during the wipe-off and distressing process.

I have posted Henry for sale on Craigslist here. I hope he finds a welcoming home.
**Update: Henry is now SOLD!**

Lots of love,
Mary

Linked up here:
Domestically Speaking
Laugh, Love, & Craft Organize and Decorate Everything Saved by Suzy The 36th Avenue Somewhat Simple shabby creek cottage IhookedupwithHoHlamespice With A Shot Of Brandy Stuff and Nonsense Furniture Feature Fridays Tickled Pink at 504 Main The Shabby Nest Chic on a Shoestring Decorating Lovely Crafty Home Photobucket Redoux Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special Link Party Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party

46 thoughts on “Henry – An English modern buffet & hutch

1. Stacey

Wow, this turned out beautifully. I have an "old" Ikea hutch that is just dying for a transformation. I was thinking of distressing it but hadn't thought of using chalk paint. It gives your hutch such character.

2. Small Holdings Farm

I applaud your vision….that piece was u g l y before and now it is a thing of beauty. I am your newest fan. Please stop by my blog for a great sailboat give-a-way. Sherronhttp://smallholdings.blogspot.com

3. Sassy Sites!

Thanks for linking up to Sassy Sites FFA party on Friday!! I LOVE to see all of the great ideas! All week this week, we will be doing Thanksgiving themed link ups. Monday is Turkeys, so if you have something you've created that is turkey-ish :)… come by tomorrow and link it up!!XOXO!!marni @ Sassy Sites!

4. becauseithinkican

this is beautiful! It must have taken you forever?! (I found you at the aka design link party) I'm wondering, could you give me tip on how to efficiently link up to so many parties? I'm finding linking up to take a lot of my time!Thanks, Leanne @ because (i think) i can

5. Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage

Henry looks much more dashing after his transformation! If only it were that easy to transform males of the human species! lolThanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. I hope you'll join the fun each week. Be sure to stop by tonight, and see yourself featured. ;)Blessings,Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottagehttp://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

6. Mary - because i like to decorate

I'm trying to figure out a more efficient way to respond to comments. I want to respond to each one personally, but I am not sure that posting here is even reaching you. Any tips out there? I like the wordpress comment format, but is that even possible on blogger?

7. Mary - because i like to decorate

@Leanne – Thanks! I can tell you that I am not efficient at link parties yet. It does take a LOT of time. Right now I have the party blogs separated in folders labeled by the day of each party. So in my reader I have a Monday party folder, Tuesday, etc. That works for now, but I think I am going to need a different system, or maybe some narrowing down in the future. I just figure since I am so new to the game, I should just get out there and take the time to link up as much as I can right now. It is hard though.